Multifunctional products obtained from colostrum fermented by kefir grains
Eureka project identification: E! 11785
Romanian Financing contract no. 62/2018
Romanian Financing authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
Project value (for Romania): 412 900 Euro (322 578 Euro from state budget and 90 322 Euro co-financing)
The 3-Biotic+ project aims to develop a complex, multifunctional 3-biotic product (having a pre-, pro- and post-biotic effect), standardized on bioactive peptides, by controlled fermentation of colostrum with an enhanced kefir bacterial consortium. From this product, a new range of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals will be further developed in the experimental development phase. The project objectives are: (i) to select enhanced kefir bacterial consortium, able to generate bioactive peptides and additional bioactive compounds into colostrum by fermentation; (ii) to optimize the fermentation process and to formulate the resulted product for nutraceutical and cosmeceutical applications; (iii) to demonstrate the functionalities of the products obtained from colostrum fermented by enhanced kefir bacterial consortium. One innovative approach is focused on bioactive peptides, as key component for standardization of the complex, 3-biotic product. Other innovation is the holistic approach of the complex multifunctional product, corresponding to the actual trend toward integrated and personalized health treatment. Also, it is envisaged the researches coordination and activities correlation between the project partners (one SME, an university and a R&D institute from Romania and one SME from Norway). Project starts from TRL3 technological level and the implementation phase (experimental development) of the project will scale-up the level to TRL7/TRL8. The main result is a multifunctional, 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides. This 3-biotic product will be further included into specific receipts of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals and patented by the project partners. SME market position will be consolidated by the diversification of its innovative products range.
- Medica Laboratories Srl, Romania, Main Partner, acronym MEDICA (www.pro-natura.ro)
- “Dunărea de Jos” University Galați, Romania, Partner 1, acronym UDJG (www.ugal.ro)
- NorGenoTech AS, Norway, Partner 4, P4, acronym NGT (www.norgenotech.no/)
- National Institute for Research and Development for Biological Sciences, Romania, acronym INCDSB (www.incdsb.ro)
The project 3-Biotic+ aims to develop a complex, multifunctional 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides, by controlled fermentation of colostrum with an enhanced kefir consortium. From this product a range of nutraceutical (food/dietary supplement, functional foods for sportsmen) and cosmeceutical will be further developed.
The specific objectives of the project are:
(i) to select enhanced kefir consortium, able to generate bioactive peptides and additional bioactive compounds into colostrum by fermentation;
(ii) to optimize the fermentation process and to formulate the resulted product for nutraceutical and cosmeceutical application;
(iii) to demonstrate the functionalities of products obtained from colostrum fermented by enhanced kefir consortium.
The work-packages necessary for reaching specific project objectives are:
WP1. Selection of enhanced kefir consortium
WP2. Development of fermentation and formulation processes
WP3. Targeted characterization of the formed bioactives peptides and their role on nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals
WP4. Assay of antimutagenic, antigenotoxic and anti-inflammatory effects related to selected bio-applications
WP5. Determination of post-biotic effects conferring higher value to nutraceuticals
WP6. Dissemination and exploitation
The relationship between objectives and work-packages is presented in bellow figure:
Relationship between the “3-biotic+” project objectives and work-packages.
The main result of this project will be a multifunctional, 3-biotic product, standardized in bioactive peptides. This 3-biotic product will be further included into specific receipts of nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals and patented by the project partners. We expect to obtain:
- High-throughput screening techniques
- Well characterized enhanced kefir grain
- Selected pre-treatment process for colostrum conditioning prior to fermentation
- Scale-up yield on colostrum fermented by kefir grain on optimal conditions
- Stable, long shelf life 3biotic product
- Method for standardization of 3-biotic product based on colostrum fermented by kefir grain
- DNA lesions and oxidative DNA damage results validated, data quality validated.
- Mutagenesis results validated (OECD 476)
- Progress reports
- Articles submitted for publication
- Scientific communications
- Protection of innovative technical solutions
The results obtained in the 1st stage of the project are available here.
The results obtained in the 2nd stage of the project are available here.
The results obtained in the 3nd stage of the project are available here.
DISSEMINATION OF THE 2nd STAGE RESULTS
- Mihaela Cotârleț, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Anca Oancea, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Tribiotic kefir production from bovine colostrum using artisanal and selected starter cultures, manuscript submis la CyTA – Journal of Food, cod submitere TCYT-2019-0228
- Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Anca Oancea, Mihaela Cotarlet, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Sergey Shaposhnikov, Oana Craciunescu, Elena Iulia Oprita, Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition, antioxidant activity and cytotoxicity of bioactive peptides from fermented bovine colostrum, 2019, International Journal of Dairy Technology, Early Access: OCT 2019, DOI: 10.1111/1471-0307.12659
- Mihaela Cotârleț, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Alina Mihaela Cantaragiu, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Oana Craciunescu, Anca Oancea, Angela Moraru, Ionuț Moraru, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Colostrum-derived bioactive peptides obtained by fermentation with kefir grains enriched with selected yeasts, The Annals of the University Dunarea de Jos of Galati, Fascicle VI – Food Technology, 2019, 43 (1), 54-68, DOI: 10.35219/foodtechnology.2019.1.04
- Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Mihaela Cotârleţ, Cultură starter artizanală, produs liofilizat din granulele de chefir de lapte, 2019, UGAL INVENT-Salonul inovării şi cercetării, 16-18 Octombrie, Galaţi
- Gabriela Bahrim, Georgiana Horincar, Mihaela Cotârleț, Aida Vasile, Oana Craciunescu, Anca Oancea, Nicoleta Stănciuc, Gabriela Râpeanu, Iuliana Aprodu, 2019, Yarrowia lipolytica as valuable workhorse for postbiotics production, 2nd ICGEB Workshop “Modern Biotechnological Advances For Human Health – BAHH”, 28-31 Mai, București. România
- Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Mihaela Cotârleț, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Oana Craciunescu, Anca Oancea, Aida Mihaela Vasile, 2019, Tribiotics design from bovine colostrum as a couple of multiple metabolic activities of the artisanal and selected cultures, 10th Probiotics, Prebiotics &New Foods, Nutraceuticals And Botanicals For Nutrition & Human And Microbiota Health Congress, 8-10 Septembrie, Roma, Italia
- Utoiu E, Gaspar A, Craciunescu O, Sanda C, Oprita EI, Oancea A, Moraru A, Cotarlet M, Mustatea G, Shaposhnikov S, Bioactive peptides from colostrum fermented with enhanced kefir consortia: biochemical characterization and specific biological activity, Agriculture for Life, Life for Agriculture 2019, AgroLife 2019, 6-8 June 2019, Bucharest, Romania
- Anca Oancea, Ionut Moraru, Gabriela Bahrim, Oana Craciunescu, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Viorica Coroiu, Mihaela Enache, Angela Moraru, Florin Oancea, A new nutraceutical product prepared by colostrum fermentation biotechnology, 2nd ICGEB Workshop “Modern Biotechnological Advances for Human Health – BAHH”, 28 – 31 May 2019, Bucharest, Romania
- Anca Oancea, Elena Utoiu, Teodora Ciucan, Oana Craciunescu, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Viorica Coroiu, Ana Maria Stanciuc, Laura Mihaela Stefan, Comparative studies concerning the bioactivity of peptides obtained by kefir-kombucha fermentation of bovine colostrum, 10 th PROBIOTICS, PREBIOTICS &NEW FOODS, NUTRACEUTICALS AND BOTANICALS FOR NUTRITION & HUMAN AND MICROBIOTA HEALTH CONGRESS, 8-10 Septembrie 2019, Roma, Italia
- Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Mihaela Cotârleţ, Artisanal starter culture, lyophilized product from kefir grains) – patent demand A / 20470/05.08.2019, gold medal at INFOINVENT, XVI nd ediition, 20-23 november 2019, Chişinău, Republic of Moldova.
- Angela Moraru, Ionut Moraru, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Mihaela Cotârleţ, Anca Oancea, Process for fermentation of colostrum with enhanced kefir granules, Patent demand no. A/00826/28.11.2019
DISSEMINATION OF THE 3nd STAGE RESULTS
Mihaela Cotârleţ, Aida Mihaela Vasile, Alexandra Gaspar-Pintiliescu, Anca Oancea, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Tribiotication strategy for the functionalization of bovine colostrum through the biochemical activities of artisanal and selected starter cultures, 2020, CyTA – Journal of Food, 18:1, 274-280, Received 28 Oct 2019, Accepted 13 Mar 2020, Published online: 27 Apr 2020
Mihaela-Aida Vasile, Mihaela Cotârleţ, Gabriela-Elena Bahrim, Metabolic functionality of the synergistically ameliorated consortium based on wild kefir grains and selected microorganisms for bovine colostrum fermentation, in press in Innovative Romanian Food Biotechnology, Vol. 19, 2020
Alexandra Gaspar-Pintilescu, Angela Moraru, Anca Oancea, Iulia Oprița, Elena Uțoiu, Teodora Ciucan, Laura Mihaela Stefan, Ana Maria Stanciuc, Ana-Maria Seciu-Grama, Gabriela Bahrim, Florin Oancea, Functional food produced from colostrum by fermentation with enhanced micro-organisms consortia, send for publication at Foods, MDPI, 2020 IF= 4,092 (under evaluation)
Ionuț MORARU, Angela MORARU, Anca OANCEA, Alexandra GASPAR-PINTILIESCU, Viorica COROIU, Laura Mihaela STEFAN, Andreea IOSĂGEANU, Teodora CIUCAN, Daniela ILIE, Cătălina SANDA, Ana-Maria SECIU-GRAMA, Nutraceutical and cosmeceutical products containing low molecular weight peptides from fermented colostrum, „Priorities of Chemistry for a Sustainable Development” – PRIOCHEM XVI, 28-30 October, Bucharest, 2020
Anca Olguta Oancea, Lucia Moldovan, Oana Craciunescu, Laura Mihaela Stefan, Andreea Iosageanu, Ionut Moraru, Gabriela Elena Bahrim, Cosmeceutic composition with moisturizing, protective and emollient effect, OSIM.